Information we collect
For the average user, we collect very little personal information. If you submit a review, add content or participate in interactive features such as forums, polls or competitions, you may be asked for your first name, email address, and home country (or asked to supply this information via connection to another site such as Facebook connect). By submitting the content or review, you agree to us retaining this data as well as the content you provide.
If you are an accommodation business owner, we collect publicly available information about your accommodation services and additional information you send us about your business if you choose to register.
Our servers automatically receive and store certain information whenever you visit our website including your IP address, referring URL, browser type and the date and time of your visit. We also utilise cookies to enhance the web site experience and to understand how users are interacting with the Fossick site. A cookie is a small text file sent to your computer in order to uniquely identify your browser. We may use both session cookies, which expire once you close your browser, as well as persistent cookies, which stay on your computer until deleted.
We also collect guests’ email addresses from accommodation businesses participating in our Fossick Feedback service to help facilitate feedback about their experiences.
Of course, we also collect information that users and clients send us in the ordinary course of business, such as information from advertisers and suggestions from users. If you wish to send us personal information about others, please get their consent first.
How we use the information
Use of Email Addresses
- To confirm that you wrote a review.
- To resolve a dispute arising out of a review.
- To provide promotional material, if you choose in advance to receive it.
- To provide it to the business you have reviewed – but only if you choose in advance to hear from them again.
- To invite you to submit a review (but only if you have given your email address to an accommodation business and they wish us to contact you to seek feedback on your experiences as part of our Fossick Feedback service)
"Fossick Feedback" is a service offered to accommodation business owners to help them send a one-time email to customers who have stayed at their business within the previous month. This email helps the business to ask for feedback on the guests' stay by inviting the guest to post a review on Fossick. It only applies when the businesses themselves gather the guest's email address during the stay, and ask Fossick to send the email.
Information shared with third parties: Fossick may use third party companies such as Google.com to serve advertisements on the Fossick site and may share information collected about your search queries with these companies so that the ad-serving company can present you with the most relevant, targeted advertisements based on your interests.
Fossick may also share user trends information, on an aggregate basis, with certain third parties including its advertisers and distribution partners.
Distribution to other websites: We may distribute content that you have submitted to other sites, with your first name and home country but never with your email address.
Merging information: We may also merge information collected about you with that collected from other users in order to identify and analyse trends to help us continuously improve the Fossick website.
How long we keep the data
We keep all reviews indefinitely. However, after 3 years, your name and home country is deleted from the review, and your email address is deleted from our records.
Fossick keeps Fossick Feedback email addresses (that is, those supplied to us by accommodation businesses so that we can invite them to provide feedback through our website) for the purposes of administering this service. They are deleted after one year.
Fossick keeps other information such as that concerning accommodation businesses, advertisers and incidental correspondence for as long as it is relevant for the purposes of administering the site.
Links to other websites
Access to Personal Information
You may contact us to request access to any information that we hold about you and you may also ask us to correct that information if you consider it to be inaccurate.
Fossick.com has put in place suitable electronic, physical and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect.
- You can decide to remain anonymous (we only require your real email address), for your first name, you can write “anon” or use a pseudonym if you wish
- You can choose not to opt-in to receive promotional materials
- If you receive a Fossick Feedback email, you can choose to unsubscribe to the service, ensuring that you do not receive any further emails seeking your feedback concerning other stays you may have
- You can control your cookies settings
- You can ask for access to all information we hold about you, and to request correction if you think it is wrong
- If you are an accommodation business, you can choose to register and supply further information for display, including responses to reviews
For any issues regarding privacy, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes to this policy